History
Mitcham Square is part of a group of centres and offices owned and managed by the Taplin Real Estate Group which was established in 1932. It is set among mature gum trees in a landscaped environment just five kilometres from the CBD within the inner South eastern suburbs of Adelaide.

The first phase of Mitcham Shopping Centre was completed in 1962 and initially comprised a Woolworths Supermarket plus eleven shops. The official opening proved so successful that within several more years two phases were constructed comprising covered malls and a non-enclosed atrium creating a total of 38 variety stores (please see plan one).

The next big expansion occurred when Hall Sandford, an adjoining owner, agreed to sell the Strath Butter Factory in 1977 and after partial demolition two levels of retailing were established (please see plan two).

Unfortunately, it took just three hours on Sunday 22nd August 2004 for a devastating fire to destroy the whole of the most recent extensions causing more than $20 million damage. Fire fighters were forced to mount aerial attacks because the fire was so intense and far too dangerous to fight internally.

An entrepreneurial spirit eventually turned this catastrophe into an opportunity with a rebuilding program costing an estimated $60 million including fitouts.

The new Mitcham Square, upon completion was focused on food, fashion and entertainment. There are now two major Supermarkets, a seven-screen Wallis Cinema Complex and approximately 55 speciality shops, together with more than 600 car spaces (most undercover). Customers can now enjoy complete, contemporary and convenient shopping in the heart of the Mitcham Community.
Back to the Home Page